May 13, 2009

My Wish

It has been several years since anyone has put candles on my birthday cake. I don't remember the last birthday on which I blew the candles out on my cake. Gone are the days of wishing for Strawberry Shortcake Dolls, Barbies, Pepe' Jeans or for some silly Jr. High boy to be "in love" with me. Although there aren't any candles on the cake (a great idea since the multitude of candles might start a prairie fire on a windy day out here), I still make a little wish. My wish isn't for a new car, a pedicure, great wealth or new clothes. All of those would be wonderful, but they are just material things.

Somewhere along the way, probably around the time I was married, my wish be came simple. My wish is for an average day. A day that my children are playing. A day that my husband kisses me good morning and good night. A day that my dog still barks at a stranger pulling into our driveway. A day that is filled with unplanned happenings. A day that I am just me living my life. At the end of that day, no matter how crazy or normal it is, my family is healthy and safe. A day that I can thank God for watching over us.

Today I have been so greatly blessed with birthday wishes, from my daycare families to my "friends" on Facebook to my three sweet, wonderful children. Today I am ok with being average. As I celebrate tonight, I will make another wish. A wish for another average year in my average life. And if I do, by chance, receive any monetary gifts, I may use it on a pedicure. Isn't that what the average Super Mom would do?

1 comment: